For many people, nutrition is an integral part of a rehabilitation process. Nutrition can also be a rehabilitation treatment of its own. At Spaulding, experts skilled in the field of nutrition teach patients about nutrition and provide customized strategies that will improve health and fit individual lifestyles.
We offer programs for those suffering from conditions such as heart disease, kidney disease, osteoporosis, women’s health and weight management issues. We also provide sports nutrition assistance, complete nutrition evaluations with follow up assessments, diet and meal plans, and nutrition and weight management classes. Our Nutrition programs can also address dietary issues related to cancer, chronic pain, diabetes, food allergies, gastrointestinal disease, osteoporosis and geriatric care
Approach to Care
Spaulding Rehabilitation Network’s Nutrition Programs offer a multidisciplinary approach, working with you and your healthcare providers, taking into account your specific health and nutrition needs. A licensed dietitian meets you one-on-one to analyze your specific nutrition and wellness needs. Readiness for change is discussed and specific nutrition goals mutually established between you and the clinician. Customized diet information and realistic implementation strategies that fit your lifestyle are taught, empowering you to improve your health and energy levels while also building a better and healthier you.
At Spaulding, our nutrition experts offer a full range of nutrition services including:
- A comprehensive and customized analysis of current eating habits and medical issues
- Identification of areas for improvement in current eating patterns and recommendations for change that lasts
- Individualized diet and meal plans tailored to medical and special concerns
- Development of self-management tools that realistically change and transform unhealthy eating behaviors into areas of control for long-term success
- Nutrition and weight management classes
- Recipe makeovers and analysis
Leadership and Expertise
As experts in rehabilitative care, we work with you to formulate a nutrition plan that is realistic, based on your lifestyle, and manageable for your situation. Our nutrition experts are registered and licensed dietitians who are credentialed with the American Dietetic Association. They study the latest nutrition research and have over 20 years of experience assisting a diverse group of patients with a wide range of nutrition issues and concerns.
At Spaulding’s Eileen M. Ward Rehabilitation Center for Children in Sandwich, we also have an on-site team of pediatric experts to treat infants and children who develop feeding difficulties because of conditions such as:
- Mouth or throat weakness causing choking, gagging or coughing
- Reduced muscle control, neurological disorders
- Medical complications, prematurity, cardiac conditions, traumatic injury
- Non-oral feedings
- Growth and weight problems, malnutrition
- Chronic respiratory illnesses, asthma, pneumonia
- Digestive issues, reflux, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea
Nutritionist Alice Richer is a registered, licensed dietitian and certified medical writer. She graduated from the University of Rhode Island, trained at Beth Israel Hospital in Boston, and completed her master’s degree at Boston College. She has practiced in therapeutic, administrative, and education settings for over 25 years.
Alice is also the team nutritionist for the MLS Soccer team the New England Revolution, co-author of Understanding the Antioxidant Controversy: Scrutinizing the “Fountain of Youth” (2008), and author of “Food Allergies” (2009). She is a member of the American Dietetic Association, Massachusetts Dietetic Association, and the American Medical Writers Association.